Little damage reported in nail salon fire

September 11th, 2019 9:22 AM

By Maria Maxham

A fire at a Madison Street nail salon, started by a neon sign falling onto an upholstered piece of furniture inside the shop, required a response from the Forest Park Fire Department on Labor Day, Sept. 2, at 2:20 p.m.

Fire Chief Bob McDermott said the building sustained no serious fire damage and nobody was hurt.

Forest Park emergency personnel responded to Grand Nails, 7620 Madison St., after someone called 911 to report a fire. Police arriving on the scene reported observing flames within the front window of the salon, which was closed at the time. 

An officer knocked on the door of the residences above to alert possible occupants. Getting no response, the officer forced open both doors to gain access, but found no one inside.

Firefighters forced open the door of the salon to extinguish the fire and broke the front windows to vent the salon, which sustained smoke damage.

A local company was called to board up the structure.

  • Love the Review?

    Become our partner in independent community journalism

    Thanks for turning to Forest Park Review and We love our thousands of digital-only readers. Now though we're asking you to partner up in paying for our reporters and photographers who report this news. It had to happen, right?

    On the plus side, we're giving you a simple way, and a better reason, to join in. We're now a non-profit -- Growing Community Media -- so your donation is tax deductible. And signing up for a monthly donation, or making a one-time donation, is fast and easy.

    No threats from us. The news will be here. No paywalls or article countdowns. We're counting on an exquisite mix of civic enlightenment and mild shaming. Sort of like public radio.

    Claim your bragging rights. Become a digital member.

    Donate Now